Saturday, January 23, 2010

Up-Side-Down

Last week, we went to see Dr. H where he did a a quick ultrasound to celebrate 36 weeks. Well, the scan showed us that our little bean is comfortably ensconced head up, feet down facing my spine = BREECH. Dang it. Dr H informed us that if the bean doesn't turn and I go into labor with it in that position, we'll be heading for a C-section. Serious bummer.

Also that day, Dr. H was worried that the bean might be too small since my fundal measurement (measuring from the bottom of the belly to the top of the uterus) was a little on the short side. We went to NY Hospital for an additional scan...still breech of course, but all was fine. The bean measured a healthy 5 lbs 10 oz so far and has a full head of hair visible on the sonogram! Doc suspects I measure small because I'm "tall" (thanks Doc) and because of the positioning of the bean.

Now on to the turning of the bean....Obviously, we would like to avoid a C-section if at all possible so B's been researching ways to get a baby to turn. We have tried talking low down on the belly to get it to turn. We've iced the top of my belly where the head is to freeze it down, and I've begun fetus flipping acupuncture treatments too! I've had two so far. Another item in our baby-turning arsenal is moxibustion. There's a special chinese herb/root that is supposed to help in turning the baby if you burn it near pressure points on your pinky toes. Please see exhibit A below:

Looks like we've got a big stogie, but that's the moxa stick. So now our new apt stinks like moxa root, but we'll take it if it means the bean turns head down!
Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment