Wednesday, October 2, 2013

There's No Place Like Home

So, I'm sitting in my Marriott hotel room, having just finished my passable-for-food room service, staring at the long night I have ahead of me. I'd planned on working a ton on the train but it was uber-crowded and I had to sit at one of those awkward 4-top tables listening to others talk about. . . what exactly, I don't know.  Something about physical therapy, and one woman setting a goal for the other that she MUST go on at least 3 dates before the end of the year.

Anyway, I had a couple of calls, but couldn't do the hardcore cranial work I needed to do because the jostling of the train was seriously making me sick. I could hardly read messages on my BB much less documents and forget about typing and reading a screen while moving like that.

So now it's almost 8:30, I've got to finish writing a couple of lengthy memos and then perfect what the heck I'm going to say tomorrow (totally intimidated - don't feel like discussing right now) at this conference I'm in DC for.

DC is hot, and bothered by the government shut down. I decided to be a good steward of my firm's resources (that, and I didn't feel like standing in the hella-long taxi line) and take the DC metro instead of a cab to the hotel. We NYers don't know how good we have it. Metrocard machines are fairly simple in NYC. The DC metro machines, not so much. They differentiate between peak and off peak times and each station costs a different price.  Anyway, if figured it out (BIG shout out to Betsy Long who told me which line I needed [RED] and what to expect) and got to my stop: Woodley Park - National Zoo. I'd forgotten that the DC metro is really really really deep (similar to the London tube) so the escalators are epic. Here's a shot of one that I rode. 


That was the first one. The next one, sadly, was broken (yes, of course the DOWN was still working). So this pregnant heifer had to lug her suitcase and her fat ass up a ton of stairs to find daylight. Once I did, the hotel was not far. And here I am . . . PROCRASTINATING writing a damned post! What's my problem?

Bri and the kids are having fun at home making jack-o-lanterns and makeshift matchbox car racing courses.  Exhibit A (again, you'll need to turn your head):

 
And here is a video of the scary jackolantern, I hope:

No comments:

Post a Comment