
Last week, after our Mexico trip, B and I went down to Washington DC to stay with my friend Betsy (more pics coming). We had a great dinner at a delicious Mezze tapas place (lots of lamb!) and watched Game 5 of the world series together. We made Betsy stay up way past her bedtime (thanks Bets!) to hang with us.
The next morning, B and I met with a small group from DRI to walk over to the U.S. Supreme Court house to get me and the bean sworn in. It was pretty cool. Candidates get to sit in the front row and I was literally about 12 feet from Justice Ginsburg. We got sworn in which took all of about 1 minute and 23 seconds and then stayed to hear oral argument on the first case on the calendar that day. Something to do with settlement obligations of third parties under a contract made by two other parties - but it was lively.

I was very surprised at the number of jokes made and the amount of laughter during that hour and 15 minutes of argument. It was quite a hot bench for that case (save Justice Thomas - who I'm told never utters a peep) and we got to hear from most of the justices. Breyer was B's favorite. What a great experience to tell the wee one about some day.
Fun fact: The United States Supreme Court has a gift shop. (of course!) We went there and had a very difficult time trying to pick out some trinket to commemorate the occasion. Three times I picked up and put down a children's book about Woodrow the Supreme Court Mouse. It had something about legislative holidays based on different types of cheeses. B vetoed it. Ultimately we settled on the 2009 official U.S. Supreme Court Holiday Ornament. Something for the tree. Awesome. At $22.95 I'd better not lose it. What a splurge! You don't have to go all the way to Washington DC to buy their wares though. Here's the link for all your holiday shopping needs: http://supremecourtgifts.org/

No comments:
Post a Comment