
We all know that it's flu season and H1N1 season and "why do I feel like crap?" season and we all are also well-versed by now in the ways to stay healthy: Avoid crowded airports, bus terminals and sneezy Louise over there and wash your hands (with SOAP!) frequently. Don't let the hacking IT guy mess with your computer and then fail to scrub it down with Clorox wipes. Don't share lollipops with children. Frankly, don't go near children if you can help it (little germ bags), etc. But this morning on my distressed commute (no F or G trains, had to walk 30 mins to Borough Hall to catch the 2/3) I read about a new vector that I'd thought I'd share with you: DOCTORS' NECKTIES. Seriously. There is a front page article on the WSJ about how neckties are rarely laundered and, in one study here in NYC, about half the neckties tested in a hospital were found to carry bugs that could cause pneumonia or blood infections. WHAT THE ...? Old School docs are blaming this new smear campaign on younger physicians wanting to dress more casually. One very ingenious entrepreneur in Florida has come up with a concept for antimicrobial-coated ties - cleverly adorned with virus prints! That's it, next time we go to the doctor, I'm going to insist he be SHIRTLESS. You can never be too careful with your health.

No comments:
Post a Comment